Embracing The Moment, Even When That Moment is a Royal Muck-up!

theorypracticeYesterday was a transition day.  You know what I mean, right?  It is one of those days that you tie in to the end of your holiday, so that you at least have 24 hours before you have to go back to work and show up at the office ready to go. So I have tried to have that tie-in day happen so I can ease into the flow of work and simply glide into it and off I go, firing on all cylinders.  At least, that is the theory, but on always the practice.

uncertaintyI had quite the morning today.  Not at all what I expected.  Sure enough, I had plenty of sleep.  I was well rested after that transition day at home.  I was focused and ready for work.  I got up and made my lunch for work.  Caitlin came back from dropping of her beau from the airport who was returning to Chattanooga. I took the dog out for a walk.  I came home and realized that I had forgotten to renew my bus transit pass for August.  It was one of those things I missed doing on my “transition day” yesterday.  No problem! Lori told me to take some change and that should cover the bus to work and I can go out at lunch time and renew my bus pass. That sounded like a plan.

laurier-and-flags-490x336I took the bus and got a transfer.  I got off at the connection stop at Laurier University.  Three minutes later my connection bus arrived and I boarded for Uptown Waterloo.  I was making record time.  Everything was moving like clockwork.  I could not have been more pleased.

GRT-7D-bus-Heather-DavidsonI got to my stop on William Street on the corner of King Street.  I got off and walked one more block to the corner of King and Allen, where my office is located.  I got to the office and I logged on to my PC, and I looked at the schedule for the day.  I was stunned.  I was early. Real early. Like… really early, like 3.5 hours early.  I checked with Resource Optimization (RO) and sure enough the start time was correct. It was a “royal muck-up” and I was responsible.  I quickly took a snippet of my schedule and sent it home by email. I informed RO that I would be going back home and that I would be back at 11 am. I seized this moment, determined to not let it ruin my day, and decided that I was better off going home, and relaxing on the bus to my destination, than staying at the office waiting for my shift to begin.  I decided that I had the power to choose, and I was going to choose what was best for me.  Besides, I was better off going home and then going to the store to renew my bus pass, rather than wait until the end of the day.

waterlooI started walking to Waterloo Town Square.  I had no cash on me for the ride back home on the bus, and as I don’t use a cell phone, I could not phone as there are no more pay phones around (have you noticed this where you live? Just asking). So I went to the bank and took out some money from the banking machine.  No stores and no banks were open at 7:40 am.  I did find the Starbucks and got a small hot drink (don’t like Starbucks coffee) and took the loose change for bus fare.  I was able to walk to my stop and wait for my bus ride home.
ixpress202With all the changes taking place in Waterloo Region due to the building of the LRT, rapid rail transit for the Grand River Transit (GRT) system, a lot of routes have been modified during this season of building and expansion.  The next 9 months are going to stressful on the ridership of the GRT as well as the businesses and residents along the routes most affected.  My 27 minute ride to work extends now to over an hour, and my 38 minute ride home extends to an hour and ten minutes.  Not exactly customer friendly. So add to this my own situation this morning, of not having my transit pass, and having the incorrect start time for work. You could say that this was not one of those “precious moments” time capsules.

004mindfulnessI said to myself, “breathe”.  I breathed. I paused. I collected my thoughts as I waited at the bus stop with my hot drink. I looked at my watch and it was just about 8 am. The bus would be here in 3 minutes.  Sure enough it was, and I embraced that moment with zeal and joy.  I was relaxed. I saw the bus coming.  I was really excited about getting this bus.   I got on the bus, and it happened to be the 7D route to the University of Waterloo, which was the route I needed. The driver drove to Laurier University where I got off and waiting for the 202 iXpress Boardwalk.  It was 8 minutes.  I realized I was not irritated.  I was calm and cool and collected.

embraceallUareI realized that I had embraced the moment.  I had not let it derail me and keep me in a state of anger.  I had a situation that if I let it, could totally topple my day.  It was up to me and my thoughts and my mind to overcome this situation.  I chose to embrace the moment, and in embracing it, I realized that I had the solution in my grasp.  I could learn from this situation and apply it to my life in a positive manner.

lovethemomentWaiting there for the 202 iXpress Boardwalk bus, I was content and I was happy.  The bus came and I got on. There were less than a half dozen of us on it.  It progressed on the route and all through the stops I was content and peaceful. I determined the best course of action for me, and one that would be the most beneficial due to my circumstances today, was to get off the bus at the corner of Fisher-Hallman and Erb Street. So I got off the bus and walked to Zehrs and purchased my August GRT Transit Pass.  I then decided that the walk to my house would be better than waiting for another bus to come along.  That was a 2 km walk.  I got to the house in about 11 minutes  The whole trek from my office, walking to Uptown Waterloo, waiting for my bus (7D) and then waiting at Laurier for the 202 iXpress, and getting to Zehrs, and going in and getting my August GRT bus pass, and walking home took 55 minutes. And it was worth every minute.

faith-itI got in the house, and put on the kettle.  Lori came down the stairs and told me she was going to see her mother early today and she would drop me off at the office. All in all it was a great start to my day, even the disruptions, and what appeared to be chaotic situation.  I could have let it flummox me but I did not let it do so.  I rode with it.  I went with the flow of the day, and took each moment for what it was and I remained calm and engaged with the moment.  This was all so very good for me to know and experience.   You too can remain in peace and in control even when the circumstances seem to unravel your life and leave you swimming in an ocean of chaos.

keepswimmingSo, keep swimming, even if you have to go upstream.  Keep swimming and don’t give up. Embrace the moment.  It will transform your life!

~ Sam

About Sam Buick

A lover and disciple of Jesus Christ. Married to my best friend, Lori-Anne. Father to 3 incredible daughters, Carragh, Caitlin and Erinn, and sons-in-law Alex, and Stephen Davis. An avid reader, a Droid user, a Mac addict, a lover of footy ball and football (there is a difference), and hockey. Once a soldier. Once a youth worker. Once an ordained minister. Once a claims adjuster. I don’t mind labels, labels define what type of Christian I am: I am a creationist I am a monergist I am a Trinitarian I am an imputationalist I am a Calvinist I am a cessationist ~ Samuel M. Buick
This entry was posted in Mystical, Personal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s